Partner Visa (Subclass 820+801)

This partner visa (subclass 820 801) allows the Onshore de facto partner or spouse of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen to live in Australia.

Partner visa is a two-stage process. The first applicant needs to be granted the temporary partner visa (Subclass 820).

Applicant must apply for both Temporary (Subclass 820) and Permanent (Subclass 801) visa at the same time and pay the visa application fees.

Partner provisional visa (subclass 820) holders will be eligible for the permanent partner visa (Subclass 801) after 2 years since the provisional visa (subclass 820) application have been lodged.

Applicants do not need to pay any visa application fees for a permanent partner visa (Subclass 820) but should lodge a permanent visa application and provide further documents to be assessed.

Eligibility (subclass 820):

To be eligible for this visa, the applicant must satisfy the followings

  • Must be in Australia
  • In most cases applicants must be the spouse or de facto partner of an:
  • ~~ Australian citizen
  • ~~ Australian permanent resident or
  • ~~ Eligible New Zealand citizen
  • Your relationship must be genuine and continuing
  • if in a de facto relationship, the relationship must have existed for at least 12 months (unless compelling and compassionate circumstances exist or registered in Australia)
  • If married, you must be legally married and accepted under Australian law
  • Satisfy the legal age limit
  • Must have a sponsor when you lodge your application
  • Meet the Health and Character requirements of the Australian Government.

Include family:

You can include members of the family unit with your visa application at the time of your application before application decision have been made. Family members must meet the Health and Character requirements of the Australian Government

Eligibility (subclass 801):

The applicant usually must satisfy the followings:

  • Holder of a Partner (Provisional) visa (subclass 820)
  • 2 years must have passed since applied for the provisional visa (exceptions apply)
  • The relationship must be genuine and continuing
  • Must have the same sponsor who sponsors for the temporary visa (exceptions apply)
  • ~ Exceptions:
  • ~~ Sponsor has passed away and it can be proved that the relationship would have continued if the sponsor is still alive.
  • ~~ Relationship discontinued due to domestic violence
  • ~~ The relationship has broken down, but it is the best interest for the child of that relationship.

Include family:

You can include those members of the family unit with your visa application who did you added on your provisional visa application and did not. The child usually must hold a Dependent Child visa (subclass 445) and be in Australia. Members of the family unit must meet the Health and Character requirements of the Australian Government.

Blog posts

English Test for PARTNER VISAS Permanent Stage (SC100/801)

Proposed Changes For PARTNER VISAS Permanent Stage (SC100/820)Recently The federal government announced proposed significant changes in partner visa (Permanent Stage) eligibility. This changes not implemented yet and most probably it will come in effect at the middle/ end of 2021. What are the proposed changes? Applicants and Sponsor will be required to pass the English language requirement only for Permanent stage partner visa (subclass 100/820). Whilst the level of English is not yet determined, it most likely is a basic English test. The applicant may need to show functional English (IELTS band score 4.5. no less than 4 on each band).

Read More

Subclass 491 visa nomination updates (NSW)

Subclass 491 visa nomination updates (NSW)Changes in the subclass 491visa nomination process and nomination criteria Under this new arrangement, each RDA will be responsible for setting their own eligible skilled occupations for nomination and accepting and assessing nomination applications for Skilled Work Regional visa (subclass 491) visa. Regional Development Australia (RDA) offices will begin assisting NSW Treasury manages the subclass 491 visa in early February 2021. Information on applying for nomination through participating RDAs, including eligible skilled occupations, will be made available on their respective websites. Nomination Criteria for a 491 visa in NSW will remain consistent across all regions and can be found below.

Read More


Study overseas is full of exciting opportunities, exploring a new country, cultures, meet new people, and make new memories. However, medical insurance is one essential thing that should be sorted before you are heading overseas.Medical insurance is a legal requirement for student visa holders in many countries, including Australia, Canada, the UK, and New Zealand. Without appropriate health cover, you might not be able to grant a student visa in your chosen country.

Read More


Pursuing your higher education from a country like Canada, Australia, The U.K., or New Zealand. could be the best decision you ever take for yourself. Most of the students from around the world take up international education with the prime motive of enhancing career opportunities or getting permanent residency in a developed nation. Studying in Canada is one of the best ways to get a Permanent Residency in this wonderful country.

Read More