Student Guardian visa (Subclass 590)

This visa applicable for student’s parent, custodian or relative who is 21 years or older who wish to come to Australia to provide care and support for a student visa holder who is under 18 years of age or older due to exceptional circumstances.


To be Eligible for this visa you must have the followings:

  • You Must be a parent, a custodian or a relative
  • You must be able to provide accommodation, general welfare and support to the student.
  • Have enough money to pay for your stay in Australia for meeting the costs and expenses of yourself, your accompanying family members and in most cases, the student visa holder.
  • Must make adequate arrangements for the accommodation, support and welfare of any member of your family who is aged 6 to 18 years either coming with you to Australia or stay overseas.
  • Must maintain adequate health cover for the whole of your stay if you are granted this visa. Your insurance should cover you for medically necessary treatment, including transport.
  • Meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement and satisfy that you have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily.
  • Meet the Australian government’s health and character requirements.
  • In the best interests of the applicant under 18 years of age.

Application process?

You must apply for this visa online. You can apply while you are in or outside of Australia. Applicant may apply

  • At the same time as the student visa application, or
  • After the student has been applied, or
  • After the student’s has been granted.

For your child’s enrolment in Australian school to lodging both of your visa application, you may contact Vista Migration and Education Services - helping international students migrate to Australia!

Benefits of this visa?
  • Provide care and support for a student visa holder who is under the age of 18 years of age (or over 18 in exceptional circumstances)
  • Care for more than one student
  • Study an English Language Intensive Course for Overseas Students (ELICOS) for less than 20 hours per week, or any other study or training for no more than 3 months
  • Travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while the visa is valid. But you can't leave Australia without the student visa holder unless you have made alternative welfare arrangements.
  • Can applying for a further Student Guardian visa if necessary.

Note: You would not have work rights while you are on this visa.

Blog posts

English Test for PARTNER VISAS Permanent Stage (SC100/801)

Proposed Changes For PARTNER VISAS Permanent Stage (SC100/820)Recently The federal government announced proposed significant changes in partner visa (Permanent Stage) eligibility. This changes not implemented yet and most probably it will come in effect at the middle/ end of 2021. What are the proposed changes? Applicants and Sponsor will be required to pass the English language requirement only for Permanent stage partner visa (subclass 100/820). Whilst the level of English is not yet determined, it most likely is a basic English test. The applicant may need to show functional English (IELTS band score 4.5. no less than 4 on each band).

Read More

Subclass 491 visa nomination updates (NSW)

Subclass 491 visa nomination updates (NSW)Changes in the subclass 491visa nomination process and nomination criteria Under this new arrangement, each RDA will be responsible for setting their own eligible skilled occupations for nomination and accepting and assessing nomination applications for Skilled Work Regional visa (subclass 491) visa. Regional Development Australia (RDA) offices will begin assisting NSW Treasury manages the subclass 491 visa in early February 2021. Information on applying for nomination through participating RDAs, including eligible skilled occupations, will be made available on their respective websites. Nomination Criteria for a 491 visa in NSW will remain consistent across all regions and can be found below.

Read More


Study overseas is full of exciting opportunities, exploring a new country, cultures, meet new people, and make new memories. However, medical insurance is one essential thing that should be sorted before you are heading overseas.Medical insurance is a legal requirement for student visa holders in many countries, including Australia, Canada, the UK, and New Zealand. Without appropriate health cover, you might not be able to grant a student visa in your chosen country.

Read More


Pursuing your higher education from a country like Canada, Australia, The U.K., or New Zealand. could be the best decision you ever take for yourself. Most of the students from around the world take up international education with the prime motive of enhancing career opportunities or getting permanent residency in a developed nation. Studying in Canada is one of the best ways to get a Permanent Residency in this wonderful country.

Read More