This Parent visa (870) is a newly introduced visa for parents, which only opened on 17 April 2019 for sponsorship application. There is no balance of family test or Assurance of Support requirements for this visa.
This visa lets a parent of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident of Australia or eligible New Zealand citizen move to Australia and live temporarily in Australia for up to 3 or 5 years, which could be extended up to 10 years if eligible and applied for. Visa holder cannot work in Australia also should have and maintain adequate health insurance from an Australian Health Insurance provider unless eligible for Reciprocal healthcare agreements while you are in Australia.
Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 870) visa is a two-stage process. First Parent Sponsor applicant needs to be approved and then within 6 months of the sponsorship approval or 60 days, if you are given Permission to Apply in Australia, the visa application should be lodged. Visa application also paid in two instalments.
This is a temporary visa only. Visa holder will not have the right to permanent residence. Visa holder also cannot apply for a permanent parent visa when you have this visa.
Note: Sponsor’s household is limited to one sponsorship at a time and can cover up to 2 parents per household at a time.
To be eligible for this visa, the applicant usually must satisfy the followings
- be outside Australia unless having permission to apply in Australia.
- be the biological, legal (including adoptive) parent, step-parent or parent-in-law of the Parent Sponsor
- at least 8 years old
- have an approved Parent Sponsor
- have enough money to support while in Australia
- satisfy the GTE requirements
- have adequate health insurance from Australian provider unless eligible for Reciprocal healthcare agreements.
- meet the Health and Character requirements of the Australian Government.
The applicant cannot include family members with their visa application.
If you are willing to come with your partner, your sponsor should apply sponsorship for both parents as sponsorship can cover up to 2 parents per household at a time.