Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 870)

This Parent visa (870) is a newly introduced visa for parents, which only opened on 17 April 2019 for sponsorship application. There is no balance of family test or Assurance of Support requirements for this visa.

This visa lets a parent of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident of Australia or eligible New Zealand citizen move to Australia and live temporarily in Australia for up to 3 or 5 years, which could be extended up to 10 years if eligible and applied for. Visa holder cannot work in Australia also should have and maintain adequate health insurance from an Australian Health Insurance provider unless eligible for Reciprocal healthcare agreements while you are in Australia.

Sponsored Parent (Temporary) visa (subclass 870) visa is a two-stage process. First Parent Sponsor applicant needs to be approved and then within 6 months of the sponsorship approval or 60 days, if you are given Permission to Apply in Australia, the visa application should be lodged. Visa application also paid in two instalments.

This is a temporary visa only. Visa holder will not have the right to permanent residence. Visa holder also cannot apply for a permanent parent visa when you have this visa.

Note: Sponsor’s household is limited to one sponsorship at a time and can cover up to 2 parents per household at a time.


To be eligible for this visa, the applicant usually must satisfy the followings

  • be outside Australia unless having permission to apply in Australia.
  • be the biological, legal (including adoptive) parent, step-parent or parent-in-law of the Parent Sponsor
  • at least 8 years old
  • have an approved Parent Sponsor
  • have enough money to support while in Australia
  • satisfy the GTE requirements
  • have adequate health insurance from Australian provider unless eligible for Reciprocal healthcare agreements.
  • meet the Health and Character requirements of the Australian Government.

Include family:

The applicant cannot include family members with their visa application.

If you are willing to come with your partner, your sponsor should apply sponsorship for both parents as sponsorship can cover up to 2 parents per household at a time.

Blog posts

English Test for PARTNER VISAS Permanent Stage (SC100/801)

Proposed Changes For PARTNER VISAS Permanent Stage (SC100/820)Recently The federal government announced proposed significant changes in partner visa (Permanent Stage) eligibility. This changes not implemented yet and most probably it will come in effect at the middle/ end of 2021. What are the proposed changes? Applicants and Sponsor will be required to pass the English language requirement only for Permanent stage partner visa (subclass 100/820). Whilst the level of English is not yet determined, it most likely is a basic English test. The applicant may need to show functional English (IELTS band score 4.5. no less than 4 on each band).

Read More

Subclass 491 visa nomination updates (NSW)

Subclass 491 visa nomination updates (NSW)Changes in the subclass 491visa nomination process and nomination criteria Under this new arrangement, each RDA will be responsible for setting their own eligible skilled occupations for nomination and accepting and assessing nomination applications for Skilled Work Regional visa (subclass 491) visa. Regional Development Australia (RDA) offices will begin assisting NSW Treasury manages the subclass 491 visa in early February 2021. Information on applying for nomination through participating RDAs, including eligible skilled occupations, will be made available on their respective websites. Nomination Criteria for a 491 visa in NSW will remain consistent across all regions and can be found below.

Read More


Study overseas is full of exciting opportunities, exploring a new country, cultures, meet new people, and make new memories. However, medical insurance is one essential thing that should be sorted before you are heading overseas.Medical insurance is a legal requirement for student visa holders in many countries, including Australia, Canada, the UK, and New Zealand. Without appropriate health cover, you might not be able to grant a student visa in your chosen country.

Read More


Pursuing your higher education from a country like Canada, Australia, The U.K., or New Zealand. could be the best decision you ever take for yourself. Most of the students from around the world take up international education with the prime motive of enhancing career opportunities or getting permanent residency in a developed nation. Studying in Canada is one of the best ways to get a Permanent Residency in this wonderful country.

Read More