Student visa (Subclass 500)

Student Visa (subclass 500) allows international students to study full-time in CRICOS registered courses in Australia.

While there is no age limitation for a student who wants to study course above Higher Secondary school level, but for a school student (not participating in a secondary school student exchange program), must be aged 6 or older to apply for this visa.

Length of stay?

Student Visa is a temporary visa to study up to 5 years. Your length of stay will determine by the type of course and its length. If for some reason you cannot complete your course on time or you may want to study further, you must apply for a new Student visa.

Only Primary school children enrolled in years 1-4 can only be granted a student visa for a maximum of 2 years.

Include family?

You can include your partner and dependent children with your visa application. If your child is 18 years or above and not dependent on you, they must apply for their visa. You Must declare your family members in your student visa application even if they do not plan to travel with you to Australia. If you do not do this, your family members will not be eligible for a student visa to join you in Australia. Student visa applicant or dependent under 18 years of age must have adequate welfare arrangements in place to eligible for a student visa.

If you get married or entered in a De factor relationship after your student visa approved, or your family members want to join with you in Australia at a later time, they can also apply as a subsequent entrant later.


To be eligible for this visa you must have the followings:

been accepted as an international student to study full-time at an Australian educational institution.

Also, you must:
  • Be a certain age (For school student only)
  • ~~ less than 17 years old when you begin Year 9
  • ~~ less than 18 years old when you begin Year 10
  • ~~ less than 19 years old when you begin Year 11
  • ~~ less than 20 years old when you begin Year 12
  • Be enrolled in a course registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).
  • Providing a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE)

If you are applying for more than 1 course in your student visa application, you must include all COE codes in the application form or your visa period may only consider the duration of the course according to the COE provide

  • ~~ Applying outside Australia: provide a Confirmation of Enrolment (COE) for each course of study with your visa application.
  • ~~ Applying inside Australia: You must be enrolled in a full-time course before your visa application decision.
  • Make welfare arrangements if you or accompanying family member are under 18 years
  • ~~ If you are applying for a student visa and you or accompanying family member are under 18 years of age, you must have adequate welfare arrangements in place while you are in Australia.
  • Meet English language requirements
  • Have adequate health insurance
  • ~~ You and your family members must have and maintain adequate health insurance for the whole of your stay in Australia.
  • ~~ Applying outside Australia: Your cover must start from the day you and your family arrive in Australia, not the day your course starts.
  • Have not held a certain visa: (If you have one of these visas, you can't apply for this visa while you are in Australia)
  • ~~ Domestic Worker (Temporary) Diplomatic and Consular visa (subclass 426)
  • ~~ Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) in the Domestic Worker (Diplomatic or consular) stream
  • ~~ Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) – primary visa holder only. A family member of a Diplomatic (Temporary) visa (subclass 995) can apply for a student visa in Australia
  • ~~ Transit visa (subclass 771)
  • ~~ Visitor visa (subclass 600) in the Sponsored Family stream or the Approved Destination Status stream
  • Be financially capable of paying for your course fees, living and travel costs while in Australia
  • Meet the Genuine Temporary Entrant requirement and satisfy that you have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily.
  • Meet the Australian government’s health and character requirements.
  • Not have had a visa refused or cancelled:
  • ~~ Applying inside Australia: You are not be eligible to apply for another Australian student visa if your visa application was refused or cancelled since last entering Australia. But you might be eligible to apply for some other visas. To be granted a visa, you must meet all relevant visa eligibility criteria.
  • ~~ Applying outside Australia: Visa could be refused for many reasons. As long as you can fulfil the visa requirement and can provide sufficient supporting evidence you may apply for your student visa again when you are ready.
Application process?

After you have gathered all the necessary documents, you must apply for this visa online. You can apply while you are in or outside of Australia.

For your enrolment and lodging your student visa application, you may contact Vista Migration and Education Services - helping international students migrate to Australia!

Benefits of this visa?

The student visa is a temporary visa, and lasts for the duration of your studies, with a maximum validity period of five years.

  • participate in an eligible course of study in Australia
  • travel in and out of Australia
  • work up to 40 hours every 2 weeks once your course starts
  • After completion, you may be eligible for a Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485) for 18 months to up to 4 years.
  • Apply for skilled migration if you manage to have enough points for your chosen profession listed on the Skilled Occupation List.

Note: You might be able to apply for a new student visa if it has been less than 28 days since your Student Visa expired and provided this has not happened before.

I need help with this Visa

Blog posts